Nothing worse than running out of electricity, needing your power plant and realizing that it doesn’t work at its best and has failures.
For this reason the maintenance of an electric plant, also called an electric generator, is very important. It is constantly exposed to vibrations, fossil fuels, oils, high temperatures and other factors that are deteriorating it.
Do you get used to postpone its ? This is something super common because it is not a frequently used machine. Some do not maintain their generator for fear of damaging it. If you feel identified, Stay, we will explain it step by step and in a simple way for generator maintenance!!!
- 1 Preventive generators maintenance, How and how often to do it?
- 2 Generators maintenance tips schedule
- 3 How to use an electric generator correctly?
- 4 Corrective Maintenance: Identify Common Failures.
- 5 You can see some spare parts for generators.
Preventive generators maintenance, How and how often to do it?
Your power plant has different parts and each has a review period. Don’t worry, it’s easier and faster than you think. Here is the maintenance checklist with its corresponding time, so you can do it like a professional. All these tips apply to how maintain a
But first I show you the tools you will need.
Tools you will need for maintenance your generator
These are the instruments that professionals recommend for use :
Multimeter: To verify the values of voltage, current and resistance in electrical systems.
Refractometer: It will allow you to measure the mixture of water and antifreeze, in addition to the state of the liquid in the battery. This way you will be clear when to change it.
Battery checker: It will allow you to check the voltage drop as if you were starting your device.
Infrared Thermometer: With this you can check the different temperatures at the entrance and exit of the radiator, and that of the pre-heater.
Use gloves when performing the maintenance of an electric generator, since fuel and oils are corrosive to your skin.
Also, do not forget to read the manufacturer’s manual for your power plant model, because it has fundamental specifications and recommendations for its maintenance.
Now, let’s go to the task list.
Generators maintenance tips schedule
all your questions will be answered in the follow .
If you work with your power plant frequently, you should perform these simple checks. They will make your device have a longer lifespan.
- Performs a superficial cleaning after each use. This will prevent corrosion, wear or other damage.
- Check the temperature of your heater. If you feel it is extremely hot, let it sit for at least 40 minutes. Use the infrared thermometer to help you.
- Check the ventilation. If you notice a temperature rise, check the operation of the fan and that it is not locked.
- Check at what level the cooler liquid is. (This will depend if your generator brings it integrated).
- Check the level of the fuel tank. Never let your power plant work with less than half a tank, or start it without fuel because the engine can melt. Also, use a filter when filling to avoid introducing impurities.
If it is running out of fuel, it will generate a current oscillation, causing irreparable damage to the connected devices.
- Make an oil check. It must be at the corresponding level (between the minimum and the maximum).
Additionally, you should use the amount and type of oil recommended in the manual. It is necessary that in the first 20 hours of use you make the first change and that in doing so the equipment is completely level.
- Change oil filters. Before proceeding with the oil change, remove all kinds of impurities in depth in the filter holders.
- Pay attention to unusual noises, so you will detect engine failures, imbalances in the rotor, lack of lubrication or friction between parts.
- Drain the rest of the water that is in the tank and in the filter.
- Maintenance of the battery and its electric charger. This task will depend on the type of battery of your generator, I leave the two most common:
1. Acid battery: To maintain it you must remove the two terminals from the device (avoid touching each other). Remove the caps from the independent cells of the battery and there you must add quality distilled water. Make sure it does not exceed the maximum level indicated by the battery.
Then, connect the charger (positive with positive and negative with negative) as long as the generator manufacturer suggests in the manual.
When the battery is connected to the charger, the cell plugs must be open, as vapors are generated and pressure can escape.
2. Sealed gel battery: This type does not require maintenance, you should only charge it periodically. The way to verify that they are failing is to look at the start of your plant. If it costs you, you may have to change it for deterioration.
Finally, if you will not use your generator for a while, disconnect the battery terminals to prevent wear in that period. I leave you a video so you can see each step in detail.
- Check and clean the air filter. It is commonly cleaned with gasoline and then a spray or maintenance foam is placed for engine filters. In the following video you will see how to do it:
- Emptying the fuel tank. If you do not use your generator frequently, you must empty the tank. Gasoline eventually loses quality and can cause engine failures. Use a hose as a siphon to help you.
- Check the concentration and solidification of the cooler.
- Clean the pressure regulator of gasoline or other fuel. Its location will depend on the brand, as it could be found on the Rail, adjacent to the pump, inside the tank, etc. To determine its exact position, look in your model manual.
Then you must remove it and clean it with some additive or injector cleaner, ideally let it soak for 1 hour. Subsequently, clean it with a cloth to remove excess. This piece is responsible for regulating the fuel pressure towards the engine, so it is vital.
- Check that the water trap has no residue on its exit.
- Check the operation of the spark plugs. Make sure they generate the spark correctly between the electrodes. In addition, the distance between the two electrodes is neither too large nor too small, since this depends on the spark quality.
- If you do not use your generator regularly, you must turn it on for at least 10 minutes every 3 months to keep it lubricated.
- Change the air filter if it is badly damaged.
- Check that the radiator hoses are not clogged.
- Thoroughly clean the air duct that leads to the respirator. Eliminates dust and any impurity.
- If your power plant has an alternator, you must check its windings with a ground insulation resistance test, which is no more than the resistance of the protection (housing) to the loads. Especially if it has not worked for a long time. I leave you a video that explains it:
- After a year you must purge the cooling system (if it has one), if it is causing temperature problems, as it tends to cover up.
- Every 300 hours of operation add some additive to purify the injection system, to avoid the accumulation of waste.
- Check the condition of the brushes. Make sure they are not dirty and that the springs work properly.
- Check the rotor balance. By taking it and moving it you can check if it is balanced.
A very important point!
Do not forget that after every 7-8 hours of operation you should let your power plant stand for at least 40 minutes. This will extend the life of your device.
How to use an electric generator correctly?
The correct use is what will ensure that your investment remains intact for much longer, but sometimes because of not knowing certain restrictions we fall into a misuse. Here I make it easy for you and I leave you the most important points so that you avoid very expensive long-term failures.
- Place your power plant in a stable and level place, away from any object to avoid temperature rise. Remember that vibrations can cause damage between important parts.
- Verify that there is no moisture, because if so, the engine could melt through the water filtration.
- Never let your generator work with less than half a fuel tank, this could cause serious engine failures.
- Place the Starter and the contact button in the position indicated by the manufacturer in the manual.
- When you do not use your power plant, verify that the fuel valve or lever is OFF. Remember that over time it loses quality and can affect the engine.
- When choosing a power plant you must give a minimum of 20% margin over the consumption you will have Why? Simple, there are many appliances and tools that turn on consume more than they indicate, and could generate an overload.
- Inspect the auxiliary element belts.
The next point is Crucial!
- Replace the fuel with the cold engine to avoid fires. Be very careful with this point.
- When using your power plant, do not forget to close the automatic electrical entry to your home.
- Calculate the consumption you need to avoid overloading the generator and damaging connected appliances.
Corrective Maintenance: Identify Common Failures.
Preventive maintenance is essential, but we know that most of the time is overlooked and there is no choice but to repair. Something that will help you save on repair is to identify the fault well, and that is why I detail a list of common failures in generators:
The first thing you should know are the areas most likely to fail: Stator, power connections, rotor, exciter and bearings.
Now we go to the most common:
- Overload. This fault is due to a poor calculation of consumption, and can cause problems such as the burning of coils, brushes and condenser.
- Insulation failures in the stator windings.
- Short circuit between coils.
Another essential point to verify are the pieces. I leave you the ones that generally fail:
Gasket and valve cover.
Diode Kit straps.
Motor starter brushes.
Game alternator coals.
Front / rear rapier.
You can see some spare parts for generators.
- 100% Brand new
- High quality fuel tank switch valve
- Nut threading 16mm x 1.5mm
- High quality fuel tank switch valve
- Nut threading 16mm x 1.5mm
- 22mm hex nut
- Predator 4000 generator parts
- Fit 5.5hp 6.5hp 7hp 8hp 9hp 11hp 13hp 14h
- Fits Many Briggs & Stratton Portable Generators / Replaces Part Number: 209417GS
- New high quality replacement recoil starter
- Fits for Champion Power Equipment Branded 196CC 6.5HP 3500/4000 Watts Gasoline Generator
- Length center to center hole is 160mm
- Fitment: Honda GX340 GX390 5000-8000 Watt 389cc 420cc Portable generator with manual choke, and made-in-China Honda Style 5KW to 8KW Generators with 188F...
- Generac, Honeywell, Dewalt, Wen Power, Durostar, Duromax, All Power America, Titan Industrial generator
- You will get: 2pcs Petcock fuel Shut-off Valve
- Fits 33/64" Fuel Tank Hole
- For Briggs & Stratton, Generac, Coleman, Craftsman, McCulloch and other brands of equipment fuel valve service
- Fitment: Harbor Freight Chicago Electric Predator 3050 3200 3500 4000 Watt Gasoline Generator Powered by a 208CC/212CC 6.5HP/7HP Rato210III Engine
- 68527 68528 67560 67561 69675 69676 69728 69729 Generator
- You will get: 2pcs Petcock fuel Shut-off Valve
- 100% Brand New and High Quality
- M10X1.25 tank port threds, Fuel line 1/4, hose barb Dimensions 1-1/2 X 1-3/16 X 2-7/8
- 90 Degree On/Off
- ①Nut Threading 16mm x 1.5mm
- ②22mm Hex Nut
- ③Package Includes - 1X Fuel Shutoff Valve, 1X Fuel Line, 2X Hose Clamp